Home A Look Back in Time A Look Back in Time Popular ColumnsA Look Back in TimeCommunity News A Look Back in Time February 15, 2017 697 0 SHARE Facebook Twitter Pictured here is a 1905 photo of three ladies crossing the street in downtown Middlefield. As you can see, the streets have not yet been paved. Paving would not come for another 10 years. Wooden sidewalks were everywhere and were especially needed when it rained and all the roads turned in to a muddy quagmire. The building behind the three ladies was the Webster Johnson Hardware store. We even had our own bandstand. The only building still standing in this picture is the current Geauga Vision building, located north of the gentleman noted as Harry Caslow, who operated a drug store on the northwest corner of the intersection. He was also the grandfather of Middlefield residents Jane Eaton and Anne Reed. The house just north of the Geauga Vision building was moved to Pierce Avenue where it is today. By Rick Seyer Shown here is the original building of the Middlefield Banking Company, organized in 1901 with an authorized capital of $25,000. From these humble beginnings, the Middlefield Banc Corp, a bank holding company and parent company of MBC, has grown to more than $1 billion, that’s $1,000,000,000, in total assets. The bank now operates 14 banking offices in Geauga, Portage, Ashtabula, Trumbull, Lake, Franklin, Delaware, Cuyahoga and Summit counties. The location of this building, torn down in the early 1990s, was just about where the driveway into the banks’ parking lot is located on East High Street.