Source: U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
The week of March 15 through 21 is National Poison Prevention Week. This annual event was signed into law on September 16, 1961, by President Kennedy.
If you think someone has been poisoned from a medicine or household chemical, call 800-222-1222 for your Poison Control Center. This new national toll-free number works from anyplace in the U.S. 24-hours-a-day, 7-days-a-week. There are currently 65 Regional Poison Control Centers in the United States where information is maintained on recommended treatment for the ingestion of household products and medicines.
Even if you suspect, but don’t know for sure, that your child has ingested a potentially hazardous product, call your Poison Control Center, emergency department, or doctor. Remain calm. Not all medicines and household chemicals are poisonous, and not all exposures result in poisoning. For medicines, call the Poison Control Center or doctor immediately. For household chemical products, call the Poison Control Center, follow the first aid instructions on the label or call 911. When you contact the Poison Control Center or other emergency personnel, have the label in hand. The label provides information on the product’s contents and advice on immediate first aid to perform.
If medicine has been swallowed, do not give anything by mouth until advised by the Poison Control Center. If chemicals or household products have been swallowed, call the Poison Control Center or follow the first aid instructions on the label. Always keep a one-ounce bottle of ipecac syrup for each child or grandchild under age 5 in the home but use it only on advice of the Poison Control Center, emergency department, or doctor.
Information on preventing poisonings can be obtained from Secretary, Poison Prevention Week Council, PO Box 1543, Washington, D.C. 20013 and is posted at www.poisonprevention.org.